Saturday, September 24, 2011

The 'Dolphin Tale' dolphin rescued from Indian River Lagoon

From TCPalm.com:

Dolphins and other tales

Did you know that "Winter," the dolphin featured in the movie "Dolphin Tale," was rescued from the Indian River Lagoon and first cared for by folks from Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute? 

(If you were here, you could have found) out more stuff you didn't know about the local Florida Atlantic University marine research center during the National Estuaries Day celebration on Sept. 24, 2011, at Harbor Branch, 5600 N. U.S. 1 in Fort Pierce. 

(People were permitted to) tour research labs and meet the scientists studying dolphins, sea turtles and sharks. Also offered: boat tours of the lagoon for $10. 

For information, call 772-242-2293.

--

If I weren't needed at the Vero Beach Theatre Guild in the early afternoon for next to last show of "All My Sons," this would have been my first choice for spending time Saturday. Unfortunately, I'd only first caught something about it last night (Sept. 23), on the radio, and didn't have the inclination to get out there early, after walking the dog, and getting back home to shower in time for 1 pm call at the theater. But: next year!

My wife and I enjoyed visiting another operation rarely open to the public, the Smithsonian Marine Station research center, in Fort Pierce, more than a year ago. We chatted with people doing very fascinating research, including a truly legendary sea life scientist.

Now, I gotta go walk the pooch and get ready... my wife is wondering why I'm still sitting, writing a post on something I did more than a year ago, relating that to another event I cannot go to. I would tell her it's a sickness, this inclination to write, but she would be inclined to believe that it were true. 

- Jon

Posted via email from Jon Osterholm :: WMBC :: posterous

No comments: