"One hundred years to the day of the first regular season game played at Fenway, theRed Sox commemorate the centennial anniversary Friday before an afternoon game against the New York Yankees."
It's predecessor was Huntington Grounds:
With unusual dimensions of 350 feet down the left-field line, 530 feet (expanded to 635 feet in 1908) to center and 280 feet to right, the Huntington Grounds featured a tool shed in deep center field that was in play and patches of sand where grass would not grow. The wooden-fenced stadium had a single turnstile, a main grandstand capable of seating 2,500 and held a total capacity of 11,500, though more than 15,000 crammed in for opening day in 1902.
By 1911, the venue had run its course. For one, the wooden structure was deemed a fire hazard.
With his lease on the Huntington Avenue Grounds expiring, General Charles H. Taylor, publisher of The Boston Globe and a real estate investor, began looking for property. He purchased an 8-acre parcel at auction for $120,000 from the Danas, one of the founding families of Massachusetts.
Bounded by Lansdowne Street to the north, Ipswich Street to the east and Jersey Street to the west, the largely undeveloped site was less than a mile from Huntington Avenue. It was located on the outskirts of the Fenway section of Back Bay, home to Boston's Opera House, Museum of Fine Arts and the winding gardens of Francis Olmstead....
INTERACTIVE: Fenway Park 360
PHOTOS: Fenway Park gallery
MORE: Complete coverage of Fenway Park's birthday