A writer for the Manchester, NH, paper, the Union-Leader, the largest paper in the Granite State, wrote an article informing people about a TV show under development. The series will present a fictional, 1960s version of the once-great air carrier, Pan Am.
The journalist made a word gaffe that earnest writers have nightmares about. Upon seeing it, I have to assume she guessed the word emphasized its root in a good way. Unfortunately, it emphasizes the OPPOSITE of what she intended.
Some often confused words are pretty dangerous to one's goal to make sense when writing, because their meanings are -- go figure -- opposites. The suspect article held just such a case:
Pan Am will take flight again on TV show
..."The show may help expose some of the work still being done at Pan Am Brands here in New Hampshire, where the airline's legacy continues, according to Beck.
Nostalgic items such as carry-on bags, luggage totes, T-shirts and watches all with the infamous Pan Am logo are available at the company's online store. Accessories such as cuff links, wallets, T-shirts and model airplanes are also for sale...."
I had no idea that Pan Am's logo, of all things Pan Am, was "infamous" (deserving of or causing an evil reputation; shamefully malign; detestable). While I am aware of the zodiac killer, and the terrible bombing of a Pan Am flight over Lockerbie, Scotland, I was unaware of any Pan Am logo muggings or other crimes.
A least favorite word confusion, for me, is discreet (respecting privacy or maintaining silence about something) versus discrete (apart or detached from others; separate; distinct). They don't have the same meaning. It would be more than a trip-up to use one for the other when meaning the opposite of the intended definition in that case. (That's called a discreet excuse; clever, huh?) However, rules is rules.
Note: I discovered the article via Aviation Business (link is to the story on that site, not the newspaper site).
Note: I discovered the article via Aviation Business (link is to the story on that site, not the newspaper site).
-- Jon
(Written Mar 4, 2011, posted in May.)
No comments:
Post a Comment