I like iGoogle.
I didn't even like Google initially, because when I searched for my own stuff, it didn't seem to pop up on Google. My stuff did show up, and much higher on the listings, on Yahoo! (dilemma: do you put a period or other punctuation after the exclamation point in the name of the company "Yahoo!" or get creative to avoid it altogether with something like a parenthetical distraction?).
Thanks to Google News, which I like and have customized, and then iGoogle, Google eventually won me over (and of course I use Blogger and I use Gmail, too).
However, when I search, I typically like to search using Ask.com, and thanks to Firefox's customized search bar, this is easy. I like the extra categories it throws at me on the sidebar of the window. Call me research addicted, I'll not argue it.
iGoogle is not bogged down with CPU-straining, attention-draining graphic elements keeping wheels and progress bars reeling to load the background and the foreground of the page. By the way, I avoid the Ask.com home page, since it is graphically busy, by opting for the Firefox search bar I mentioned earlier.
iGoogle is not like many news sites and other graphics-heavy sites people choose for home pages, those others frustrating anyone without a 6-foot Ethernet cord directly patched into their ISP's broadband hub. (And that would be everyone, really.)
My iGoogle page is pretty busy: Google News (my former home page, with highly personalized news blocks) and several other news gadgets are on there, the Daily Beast Cheat Sheet (which is far better, to me, via iGoogle rather than as a home page, which it was for me for a brief time), and Gmail, Blogger, Twitter and many news gadgets/widgets/thingies -- whatever you wish to call the modules you can add to your iGoogle page.
iGoogle is well worth consideration as a quick-loading, easygoing home page, a perfect jumping off point. Well done, simple: and why not? Not everything needs to look like -- and take up the computing power of -- the Action Video Game of the Year, does it?
- Jon O.

I didn't even like Google initially, because when I searched for my own stuff, it didn't seem to pop up on Google. My stuff did show up, and much higher on the listings, on Yahoo! (dilemma: do you put a period or other punctuation after the exclamation point in the name of the company "Yahoo!" or get creative to avoid it altogether with something like a parenthetical distraction?).
Thanks to Google News, which I like and have customized, and then iGoogle, Google eventually won me over (and of course I use Blogger and I use Gmail, too).
However, when I search, I typically like to search using Ask.com, and thanks to Firefox's customized search bar, this is easy. I like the extra categories it throws at me on the sidebar of the window. Call me research addicted, I'll not argue it.
iGoogle is not bogged down with CPU-straining, attention-draining graphic elements keeping wheels and progress bars reeling to load the background and the foreground of the page. By the way, I avoid the Ask.com home page, since it is graphically busy, by opting for the Firefox search bar I mentioned earlier.
iGoogle is not like many news sites and other graphics-heavy sites people choose for home pages, those others frustrating anyone without a 6-foot Ethernet cord directly patched into their ISP's broadband hub. (And that would be everyone, really.)
My iGoogle page is pretty busy: Google News (my former home page, with highly personalized news blocks) and several other news gadgets are on there, the Daily Beast Cheat Sheet (which is far better, to me, via iGoogle rather than as a home page, which it was for me for a brief time), and Gmail, Blogger, Twitter and many news gadgets/widgets/thingies -- whatever you wish to call the modules you can add to your iGoogle page.
iGoogle is well worth consideration as a quick-loading, easygoing home page, a perfect jumping off point. Well done, simple: and why not? Not everything needs to look like -- and take up the computing power of -- the Action Video Game of the Year, does it?
- Jon O.

Powered by ScribeFire.
No comments:
Post a Comment